Monday, January 21, 2013

Karl Gaspar, Manobo Advocate

I first came across the name Karl Gaspar on a book about the Dulangan Manobos. Gaspar is quoted at the back portion of the book. He praises the author, a missionary priest, for his dedicated service to the indigenous people of Kulaman Plateau.

Upon reading Gaspar’s statement, composed merely of a few sentences, I told myself right away that this man could write. My impression was correct. My personal online research on the Manobos led me to one of the several books he had written. I have previewed the book once in Google, but I can no longer find it now, so I can't provide you the link. However, I can still remember that one chapter of it is devoted to Gaspar’s spelunking experience in Kulaman.

The book is a combined travelogue and reflective essay. In a clear and entertaining prose, Gaspar lets the reader see the beauty of nature and join him in his spiritual journey. Here’s some more info on Karl Gaspar, a staunch advocate of indigenous peoples:


The most recent news I’ve heard about Gaspar is that he won a 2012 National Book Award from the Manila Critics’ Circle. The winning book is Manobo Dreams in Arakan: A People’s Struggle to Keep Their Homeland.

No comments:

Post a Comment