Monday, June 10, 2013

Kulaman Burial Jars in Paris Exhibit

From Kulaman Plateau, the limestone burial jars have been taken to Cebu, Dumaguete, Manila, and San Francisco. Now the jars have also reached Europe, particularly the famous city of Paris.

The jars are included in an exhibit entitled "Philippines: Archipel des échanges (An Archipelago of Exchange)" in Quai Branly Museum. The exhibit opened on April 9 and runs until July 14, 2013.

I learned of the event through an article in the Philippine Daily Inquirer. When I found out that the items on display were pre-Hispanic artifacts from all over the country, I thought right away that burial jars from Kulaman must be part of the collection. Alas, there was no mention or photo of the jars in the article.

I searched for more online articles about the exhibit, and I found one at the website of the embassy of France in Manila and another in the Philippine Star. To my dismay, only the more famous objects are featured in these sites. I remained undaunted, though, and continued googling. Finally, I stumbled upon an article in a French website. I cannot understand most of the text, but I nearly leaped in delight upon seeing the photo at the bottom of the page.

A screenshot of a French website

Upon further googling, I found another wonderful write-up. This time, it's from the national TV station GMA. I'm glad to discover that the limestone burial jars, like the rice-god figures of Ifugao and Maranao brass musical instruments, are catching the eyes of some photographers.

Both photos from the French website and GMA indicate that the jars belong to the collection of the Ayala Museum. If you want to know more about the exhibit, you may check out the short and beautiful video the Quai Branly Museum posted in Youtube. The video, however, is in French and does not mention or show the Kulaman burial jars.

Cropped screenshot from GMA Network

No comments:

Post a Comment