Monday, July 28, 2014

Fiction: Artifacts He Unearthed

During the Silliman University National Writers Workshop last May, my co-fellows and I were asked to create a batch anthology. Our indie book is worth mentioning in this blog because my story in it has got a lot to do with this blog. Here are five fun-for-me facts about the piece:
  1. The story is in the form of blog posts.
  2. The story is about blog posts that quote blog posts that quote blog posts.
  3. I am the main blogger in the story, and I am writing about the blog of my co-fellow Jovy, who wrote about his experiences in Kulaman Plateau and my blog about Kulaman Plateau.
  4. I am writing my blog posts in 2017, and Jovy (whom I killed with his permission) wrote his in 2015, and he made references to this very blog that you are reading, written from 2012 up to the present.
  5. I call my piece "speculative metanonfiction," but my co-fellow and roommate Reno said it's really a fan fiction of myself.
You may read my story by downloading for free the anthology in the webpage of the writers workshop. Scroll down to the image of the book cover, and click the link right below it.

I won't tell you to enjoy reading my story because I wasn't thinking at all of readers when I wrote it. I was just excited by the fact that, for the first time in a little more than a year, I was writing a new story. I hope to take the part about Jovy in the story and rewrite it in a traditional narrative format in the coming months.

"Arguably the best-produced anthology" was how Sir Ian, coordinator
of Silliman's creative writing center, described our book.
The cover photo, taken by Arkay, shows Pre jumping off a cliff
in Siquijor. Jonggai did the book layout, and Reno wrote the intro.

My goal was to have the longest output among those who wrote
their pieces while in the Writers Village, so my story occupies 20
of the 124 pages of the book. I mentioned my name at least 10 times,
so maybe Reno was right: the story is a fan fiction of myself.

My excuse for including this photo is that I need to show you what
the whole book looks like. This was taken by Mike, alumnus
of the same workshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment