Friday, September 19, 2014

My Mother’s Garden

















The cold climate of Kulaman Plateau allows the people in it to grow almost any kind of flower. My mother is one of those people who take advantage of the opportunity. In almost every house we’ve lived (we’ve moved three or four times just within our village), she would always turn the front yard into a flower garden. Heck, even the backyard.

My mother loves working the earth. It’s her garden that she tends to first thing in the morning. She studied agricultural economics, in fact, but by some twist of fate winded up a high school principal.

I’ve never lent a hand in weeding or landscaping the garden because the remnant of my old obsessive-compulsive self hates getting my hands dirty, but whenever I go back home and bum around, some people ask me if it’s the garden I get myself busy with. I politely and truthfully answer no. In fact, I began to appreciate the flowers in our yard just recently. I would barely glance at the garden before. Now, whenever I find time in my hands, I take photos of the flowers.

Below are some of my photos. Red anthuriums occupy more than half of the garden, but I find the purple and lavender flowers more attractive, so I chose the photos of the latter.





No comments:

Post a Comment