Tuesday, March 6, 2018

A Dulangan Manobo Saying

"I've been wet, so I might as well take a bath." I heard this from a Dulangan Manobo man. He has been through a difficult situation, and he has to face a lot more, and he's determined to fight until everything is over. The expression must be unique to the tribe. I haven't heard this in other languages. The closest to this that we Ilonggos have may be "Salomon ko na lang ni" or "I might as well dive into this."

I think the expression reveals so much about the people who use it. First, Dulangan Manobos have a strong sense of justice. When they feel dishonored, whether by their fellow Manobos or by people from other tribes, they seek reparation or even retribution. They can forgive and forget to a certain extent only. Second, they have a negative view of being wet and of taking a bath. As someone who grew up in the same mountains where they live, I can easily understand this attitude. Taking a bath can be such a chore in a cold climate. It can make you sick instead of making you feel refreshed. Being merely wet may also be a problem, especially for people whose only set of clothes are the ones they are wearing, as it had been for many Manobos until recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment